Monday, November 11, 2019

A Review of 2019

My apologies for the lack of posts over the summer, while I have managed to keep up with the tasks on the plot and get a good haul in the process, time for posting here has been a bit short. Work and DIY does tend to get in the way, along with quite a few BBQ's of course.

The cold start and hot couple of months did cause a few issues but it's fair to say that everything planted put in some kind of appearance and we certainly didn't go short this year.

So here is a rather pictorial update of this years progress.

Love a freshly picked sweetcorn. They did well this year despite a bit of wind damage
50mph winds bent a few of the sweetcorn
The changeable weather meant that the sprouting broccoli put in an early appearance this year
Plenty of tomatoes this year, although the dry conditions did make some of the skins a little tough
Malbec carrots. The first planting had to be scrapped but the second produced a good crop. Carrot fly have been an issue this year

Even managed to get a couple of decent sized peppers
It was a good onion crop this year

Last of the onions strung for winter usage. I'll definitely grow from seed next year as well
Carrots, leeks and parsnips. The leaf miner has hit the leeks again this year but there are still some usable ones. Some kind of protection will be needed for next year
The biggest of 2 pumpkins, large squashes didn't have a great year
And they ended up like this!
A picture from last weekend. Leeks, parsnips and brassicas. Oca covered in fleece in the background. I need to remind myself what to do with them. 
This year I've pickled my own onions, they do have a bite! and even got to like a boiled beetroot

The plot is looking quite tidy. I've manured and covered all the finished beds and I've been working on tidying the fruit bed. I don't think I'll get the strawberries replaced this year but I'll have the bed ready in the spring.

We've had the usual end of season visits from the vandals and they slashed the pea cage netting and Brian's shirt. It happens every year, usually closer to christmas, but at least they left the veg alone.

Hope you've all had a good season.

Happy Gardening Folks!!

3 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Our sweet corn did nothing this year and like you the carrots have been poor. All the rain has meant that the slugs are having a field day. It’s also put paid to our preparation work.

Mal said...

Leeks brassicas and parsnips: Sounds like a good prospect. I am reassured that my disappointing year for pumpkins was not unique. My sweetcorn ran out of summer...

Daisy Debs said...

Wow ! It does my soul good to see all the beautiful food that you have grown ! :)