Tuesday, May 30, 2006

We have produce and more work to do

Finally, I can do what I was hoping for when I started work on the plot, I can stop by on the way home from work and pick something to eat for me tea. It's not much so far I grant you, some lettuces, spinach, radishes and the little bits of pak choi the flea beetle have left.

I almost ran out of radishes, I thoughtI had more, turns out they were very similar looking weeds, so I've rushed in another row. The slug pellets are dealing with most of the little blilters and I have some home made beer traps to install when I can be parted from my beloved beer.

The masses of rain have really helped both the veg and the weeds along, but I didn't really enjoy erecting runner bean supports in a down pour.

Any way, the beans are in, they had out grown their tubes, the sweetcorn are hardening off to go in next weekend and the squahes are at the one leaf sage so I'll give it another couple of weeks. My plot is by a river and it always seems a little colder than elsewhere down there, better to be safe than sorry.

Anyway, heres a few picture updates.



The beans on the supports erected in the pouring rain, and slightly on the p**s!!!



The salad bd, the most productive 16ft square so far, the strawberries are just starting to fruit as well.



The onions have sped along with the rain, the carrots are coming up slowly, the earlies are doing about the same despite the difference in planting time, mother nature proving she will not be rushed. Promise this has been weeded since!!!1



And finally the parsnips doing well in the front, leeks just gone in behind and the early spuds just showing signs of flowers. Most of the mains are just about showing.


No comments: