Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Best Use of Rhubarb

I've got to be honest, I don't really eat rhubarb, and neither does Heather. Like almost every plot holder we inherited ours, my dad planted it and I keep it there for him. Don't get me wrong I like the odd crumble but we're unlikely to eat all the plants produce.

However this year I think I've found a use for a couple of pickings....... Rhubarb Gin!! As recipes go they don't get much simpler and its a tasty little number.

You'll need:

A 75cl bottle of gin, nothing special for this
400g of rhubarb, the pinker the better
250g of sugar.

1. Chop the rhubarb into 2cm chunks and put into a large kilner jar or similar with the sugar and gin.

2. Give it a shake and store somewhere dark and cool for 1 to 2 weeks until the gin turns pink and the rhubarb turns green. The pinker the rhubarb, the pinker your gin. You can give it a swirl every now and then.


3. When its ready strain it back into the original bottle.

It's lovely over ice on its own, or with a splash of tonic, but for more exciting ideas try these


Note: I used a 70CL bottle and its quite sweet but you still get the rhubarb sharpness, maybe cut the sugar down a little if you don't have my sweet tooth.

Now I just need a fancy label!

3 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

We use rhubarb in a number of ways including with pork which it goes with well.

Dicky said...

Hi Sue

I like the sound of that, find apple sauce too sweet sometimes.

It appears the Scottish have a think for stewing it and putting it on porridge as well

Sue Garrett said...

We do that too. We also like rhubarb crumble muffins Nd in the past I have made pork and rhubarb burgers. Wakefield have a rhubarb festival where rhubarb recipes are at the forefront, it goes well with ginger too.