Monday, October 17, 2005

A bit of history.........

I took over this half plot in sunny Chelmsford in August this year, it’s only a half plot and had been used the previous year by a Chinese couple who apparently grew loads of fast growing stuff most people couldn’t recognise. I wonder if a local take away was getting some locally grown produce.

They grew in a raised bed system, which has disappeared, presumably when the council mowed it. I’m sticking to the original beds layout to make it easy to rotate the veggies and to dig.

I’m lucky that apart from some deep rooted chives and some strange onion type things there is little to clear and only a few weeds, no bindweed or any of that horrible grassy stuff. Also as a bonus I’m right next to the tap :-)

So far I have cleared and dug 3 out of 4 of the beds, all of which are roughly 18 feet by 8 feet, (I did have some help), they are being covered in thick plastic for the winter for a fresh start in spring.

The compost bin has been started and hopefully the shed can survive the winter!!!!!

No comments: